An Update from Berrys’ Spirits Team
Author: Amanda Baxter
We have seen tonic ice tubes, homemade tonics, classic cocktails twisted together and we cannot wait to see the final five at the Royal Albert Hall No3 bar on 17th June where they will recreate their winning cocktail and create a “freestyle” option too – no holds barred! The finalists are:
– Jack Coughlan from The Last Word Edinburgh, “Rule No.3”
– Suzie Wong from Epernay bar Manchester, “The Key to the Secret Gin Garden”
– Charles Montanaro from Nola London, “Key Quina Tonic”
– Ehren Khoo-Steel from Merkaba Birghton, “The Parlour”
– Matt Fairhurst from Milk Thistle Bristol, “The Curious No.3”
Our neighbours, Quaglino’s on Bury Street, have launched a pop up for the summer to bring back all the glamour of the 1920’s. The Hutch Club will be offering a brilliant line up of live jazz and best of all, this is accompanied by classic No.3 Gin cocktails and No.3 Gin and tonic popcorn. That has to be worth a visit!
The month of May also included a trip to the Scotch Whisky Research Institute to spend a day on their Sensory Course. This was absolutely fascinating, especially learning how the trained tasters sit for several hours smelling the whisky as it develops and writing down particular smells and the time it occurred to compare to the chemical signs the machine can read. It just goes to prove that no matter how advanced technology gets, nothing will beat the human senses; and we can enjoy it whilst analysing the elements too! Not only that but it gave myself and our Eastern European brand manager plenty of ideas for The Glenrothes so look out for some exciting “sensory” events to come.
July will be the big month for The King’s Ginger liqueur, with a request from the palace to Berry Bros. & Rudd as a double royal warrant holder to create a special coronation cocktail. This was created by The Cocktail Lovers (www.thecocktaillovers.com) and encompasses all things British with sparkling wine from our fair shores and local produce. You will have to wait till next month for the reveal but if you cannot attend the Coronation Festival do not worry; we will share the recipe on facebook and twitter too.
And as for Pink Pigeon, our senior spirits team are there as I write, visiting the distillery, absorbing the culture and no doubt enjoying a Pink Mojito or two whilst they are at it. I have no doubt there will be plenty of envy inducing pictures posted on their return.
– No.3 Gin cocktail competition final on 17th June, keep an eye on @No3Gin’s twitter account for updates throughout the day.
– The Glenrothes will be at Harvey Nichols on 14th June and at Selfridges on 15th alongside The King’s Ginger, a perfect Father’s day gift and you can try before you buy!
– 15th June is also World Gin Day and there will be a No.3 Gin giveaway in the run up so do not forget to visit www.worldginday.com for more details.
– On the evening of 1st July No.3 Gin will be at Charlotte’s Bistro Gin School so if you are near Chiswick come along for a G&T and a chat about why No.3 Gin was voted “Best in Class” at the International Spirits Challenge